Employees

Turkey sacks 18,500 state employees

Turkish authorities have ordered the dismissal of more than 18,500 state employees over alleged links to terrorist organisations. The people have been sacked as part of a crackdown following a failed military coup two years ago. Turkey has been under a state of emergency since July 2016 following an attempted overthrow of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government.

Punjab orders mandatory dope test

Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh has ordered a mandatory dope test for all government employees, including police personnel, from the time of their recruitment through every stage of their service. Drug screening will be mandatory in cases of promotions, and also be a part of annual medical examinations. The state’s Chief Secretary has been asked to issue an order.

DEPwD to Organize workshop for PwDs”

Dept. of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) is organizing a “National Workshop on Skill Development for Persons with Disabilities”. The workshop is being organized with a view to provide a platform to all stakeholders ranging from training partners to the policy makers as well as employers. The Workshop will dwell upon all the issues involved in the skill development for PwDs.

EPFO changes provision for withdrawing funds

Retirement fund body EPFO provided an option to withdraw 75% of their funds after 1 month of unemployment. The members would also have an option to withdraw remaining 25% of their funds and go for final settlement of account after completion of 2 months of unemployment. These provisions are done under the Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952.

41 lakh new jobs created in 8months: CSO

Central Statistics Office (CSO) released the employment-related statistics in the formal sector for eight months beginning from September 2017. The year witnessed new payrolls of over 6.8 Lakhs were recorded by Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). The estimated total number of new National Pension Scheme subscribers during the same period is over 5 lakhs.

Govt to have quota in promotions for SC/ST

The Supreme Court has allowed the Centre to provide reservation in promotions for SC/ST employees in all government departments till the issue is disposed of by the bench. A Bench of Justices A.K. Goel and Ashok Bhushan said nothing prevented the government from promoting employees in accordance with law. SC’s 2006 judgment in the M. Nagaraj case was applicable to reservation in promotion.

EPFO cuts administrative charges to 0.5%

Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation’s trustees had decided to cut the administrative charges to 0.50% from 0.65% of total wage paid by employers in its meeting this year. EPFO decided to cut the administrative charges in view of its expanding business and high recovery of such fees. According to EPFO estimates, the employers would save in total around ?900 crore annually after this move.

EPF interest rate hits 5-year low at 8.55%

The government has notified 8.55% interest rate on EPF for 2017-18, lowest in 5 years since the 2012-13 fiscal. Employees’ Provident Fund is a mandatory contribution from the salary of an individual that every company which has more than 20 employees has to deduct. EPF accounts are overseen by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, which is under the Ministry of Labour & Employment.

Aadhaar not mandatory for getting pension

The government clarified that Aadhaar has not been made mandatory for getting pension for government employees. The government said that Aadhaar is an additional facility to enable the use of technology for submission of life certificate without visiting banks. There are about 48.41 lakh Central Government employees and 61.17 lakh pensioners.

35.3 Lakh New Jobs Generated in 6 Months

Government think-tank Niti Aayog said 35.3 lakh new jobs were generated between September 2017 and February this year.This was based on the additions made in payrolls from Employees’ Provision Fund Organisation, Pension Fund Regulatory Development Authority. The NITI Aayog said that the payroll data from these organisations would now be released every month.